- Early Education
Throughout stood first in class. Merit scholarship from class VI to class XII. Figured in National Merit list of high school Board of Uttar Pradesh and All India Merit list also. Was a boy scout, Under Officer and awarded ‘B’ certificate in NCC. Was awarded several prizes at district and national level debates, elocution and dramatics. Participated in school level athletics and was a 2-star winner in National physical fitness test.
- As a student and resident in surgery at MLN Medical College, Allahabad
- 2.1 Stood 1st in class in MBBS second and final professional examination. Certificates of Honor in 6 out of 10 MBBS subjects, including surgery. Was awarded the Pritam Das Medal for standing first in MBBS at the MLN Medical College for 1976.
- 2.2 Best all round student of the Medical College for the year 1975.
- 2.3 Several gold and silver medals for academic achievements during MBBS and MS studies.
- 2.4 Worked on cell mediated immunity in solid tumors during Master of Surgery dissertation work in 1980. Also presented papers as a house surgeon at the Association of Surgeons of India, National meeting at Guwahati in December 1978. Received the Best Research Paper Award of the UP Chapter, Association of Surgeons meeting in 1979.
- In Britain (1981 – 84)
Throughout stayed at the Department of Surgery, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, United Kingdom.
- 3.1 Worked as a Surgical Registrar and Research Fellow with Professor LE Hughes DS FRCS FARCS in a busy teaching Department which was also the referral centre for the South Wales region, especially for benign and malignant breast disease. Single-handedly conducted the Mastalgia Clinic and Chemotherapy Clinic of the Department for 3 years.
- 3.2 Was awarded the Overseas Research Student Fellowship 1982 of the University Grants Commission of UK. Enrolled for PhD in surgery with Prof RE Mansel MD FRCS. The topic of my PhD was ‘Studies on the role of prolactin in the etiology of breast disease’. This work involved receptor localisation by radio-ligand binding in membrane and cytosolic preparations. Was finally awarded PhD in 1986.
- 3.3 Was awarded the William Morgan Trust Fellowship to visit the laboratory of Dr Freidolf Peters in Frieberg, Germany in 1982 and Cancer Research Campaign Travelling Fund Fellowship to visit Rosewell Park Memorial Institute, Buffalo, USA and Department of Surgery, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA in 1983.
- 3.4 While in Britain, I won opportunities to present my work at some of the most prestigious forums including Surgical Research Society, Royal College of Surgeons, Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, Society of Surgical Oncology – USA and British Association of Surgical Oncology. Twice my papers were nominated for the prestigious Patey prize of the Surgical Research Society.
- 3.5 In Cardiff, I held tutorials for undergraduate medical and dental students attached to the Department of Surgery and took special lectures for Occupational Therapy students.
- In Australia (1990)
Stayed for full academic year at the Royal Newcastle Hospital, Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Bio- statistics on a Rockefeller – USAID fellowship and pursued Master of Medical Science Courses in Clinical Epidemiology, Research Methods, Health Social Science, Health Economics, Bio-statistics and Computing. Also submitted a Master’s thesis on “Analysis of factors causing delay in presentation of oral cancer patients in India” after collecting data in India for two years. This training has allowed use of best evidence and cost-effectiveness of resources in my clinical practice.
- In USA (1991 & 1996)
Had 2 short stints of 3 months each mostly at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York. Assisted partly by the benevolent Diwaliben Mohanlal Mehta Charitable Trust travelling fellowship of the Tata Memorial Hospital. Was also an observer in the services of breast and head and neck and since then have close associations with Dr Michael Osborne and Dr Jatin P Shah.
- In Lucknow (1984 to date)
- 6.1 Clinical work : At KGMC, I hold independent charge as a Consultant Surgeon and perform a wide range of operations both emergency and elective. I have special interest in Breast, Head and Neck and gastrointestinal surgery. Because of my special training at Cardiff, I routinely undertook breast and oro-mandibular reconstructions using various myocutaneous flaps myself. I also undertook intricate hepato-biliary surgery of portal hypertension and biliary by-pass operations. I have a very steady clientele of cancer patients from Lucknow and neighboring areas. I also carry out endo-surgical procedures regularly. Over the last 5 years, I have done about 800 minilaparotomy cholecystectomies successfully with early return to work at a very low cost to the patients and hospital and have published a cost utility analysis of the procedure. I undertake the entire surgical oncological work of the Department of General Surgery and have created facility for adjuvant chemotherapy in solid tumors for the last 20 years.
- 6.2 Computing : I was the Officer-incharge to establish the central computer facilities and applications in King George’s Medical College Institute of Clinical Epidemiology (KGMCICE), Lucknow. Organised the advanced age learner computer literacy program for doctors through which over 80 clinicians have gained proficiency in word processing, database and use of statistical software. I provide regular consultation in research methodology and data analysis to a large number of doctors.
- 6.3 Clinical Epidemiology : In 1990, I was selected by a team of experts from the International Clinical Epidemiology Network (INCLEN) for training in the new science of Clinical Epidemiology. For this, I spent 1 year in Newcastle, Australia and learnt the subjects of Clinical Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computing, Health Economics and Health Social Science. On my return from Australia I became a part of the Clinical Epidemiology Unit (CEU) faculty of this Medical College. The aim of this unit is to foster clinical research relevant to the country’s needs using the principles of Clinical Epidemiology. I now undertake epidemiological studies and provide consultation in research methodology and health services management, delivery and evaluation.
- 6.4 Oral Cancer Education Campaign (OCEC) : Is an organisation founded by me through which primary and secondary prevention of oral cancer is undertaken. Recently OCEC has promoted a public interest litigation in the Allahabad High Court seeking a mandate for ban on smoking and spitting after chewing in public places in UP.
- 6.5 Orations and Lectures : Regularly delivered orations and lectures both for institutions and social organisations. Been invited to speak at AIIMS, New Delhi, SGPGI, Lucknow, Medical College, Madras, Nagpur, Indore, CDRI, Lucknow; University of Aligarh etc.